Washington State Community College Consortium For Study Abroad

Financial Aid

Posted by csvoboda On August - 5 - 2017

Students who qualify for financial aid may use loan or grant awards for study abroad. Awards may be used to pay program fees, tuition, and/or personal expenses. Financial Aid offices may consider the higher cost of study abroad programs when determining the award amount a student may be eligible for. This may result in increased funding during the quarter you are abroad. Check with the Financial Aid Office of your home school about eligibility requirements.


How to Apply

  • Start by meeting with your Study Abroad campus coordinator for details on the program costs and payment deadlines.
  • Students apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Then contact the Financial Aid Office of your home school to see if other documentation is required to complete your file.
  • The school year begins Summer quarter for some campuses, and for others it begins Fall quarter. If you plan to study abroad Summer quarter, it is very important to make sure you use the application for the correct school year, and that you meet with a financial aid officer and let them know of your intention to study abroad Summer quarter.
  • If possible, complete your financial aid file by your school’s priority deadline. The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to be awarded all the funds needed for your Study Abroad program.
  • It may take several months to a year to have your financial aid application approved and to receive your funds. Study Abroad program fees are due at least 70 days before departure, so start planning early.